Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Yoga is awesome!

It's true. Yoga is really amazing. I, however, cannot do it and therefore, I hate it. It's not that I cannot physically do it, I mean it's hard, but that's not the problem. The issue lies within the fact that I can only meditate or do yoga-like activities for like 5 seconds before my mind starts wandering.

Today, at my work, we had a training meeting on Yoga. That's right, we sat in a semi circle and discussed the foundations and principles of Yoga. Seems like a cool midday meeting to have a work, right? We even did some of the poses. It was, in all actuality, very interesting, informative, and added a fun variety to the day. There was a problem with this seemingly incredible meeting. . . I can't focus for more then like three consecutive seconds. The whole point of Yoga is to bring awareness to the mind, body and breath and to do very focused and purposeful movements to enhance well being. Sounds AWESOME!!! Please sign me and all of my friends up for that! (detect sarcasm here, keep reading and you'll know why)

We did this exercise where we closed our eyes and focused on our entire body, isolating areas from the feet all the way up to the head. You've heard this before, I'm sure. The point is that I was doing one of two things during this exercise and neither of them were Yoga based or beneficial to my well being. I was 1) focusing on an area and thinking about how much it hurt, ached, was out of shape, needed to be stretched or 2) I was defeating the entire purpose and thinking about my plans for the evening. My plans, by the way, are to sit around eating and drinking wine with friends while watching mindless television and chatting about the nonsense that fills our days. There I said it. So we finish with this exercise and she tells us to open our eyes and notice what we became aware of. Well ma'am, I became aware that my body is aging, not in the shape I would like it to be, and would much rather be stuffing my face and getting sauced. Thank you, for that.

...But the bright and shiny thing is that during my normal activities, going through life unaware , I do not notice these things. I call it ignorant bliss.

Maybe one day I will try Yoga on a more serious level because it is awesome afterall, but not now. Nay.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yoga is great because you can lay down and then say hey im working out im doing yoga.

Unknown said...

You should do Vinyasa. Not as boring as regular yoga. I too have a wandering mind, and while it wandered in every yoga class I discovered that the Vinyasa moved quick enough to keep me more focused. This could have been due to the fact that I don't really know yoga all that well... so I had to focus to make sure I was doing the poses right.... but yes, Vinyasa may be your only hope.

Keep in mind that if ever you just need to nap there is always restorative yoga :-)

Kelly's Dwelling said...

as jesi mentioned restorative yoga...i would just like to say that is, in fact, pointless. if i want to restore, i choose to vent, bitch, moan and intoxicate. then i feel much better.

Stevenolli said...

I refuse to believe you, mariah samantha burns didn't take something seriously. You ALWAYS take everything serious. Especially work.

Next time you you should just fall asleep. Or pull out a 40 and duct tape it to your hand.