Monday, April 6, 2009

Gramatically Incorrect!!!

When people horribly misspell words or use improper English I don't know whether to be painfully irritated or woefully distressed by the lack of education. On one hand it's sad, really sad, but on the other... I mean come on. I never knew how important grammar was until I observed grown-ups slaughtering it. There are mistakes and then there is the sentence below:

WE NEED THIS ON ARE WEBSITE FRONT PAGE CALL JOE FOR ME 255-5653 IT ARE NEW WEB-SITE BASE SOFEWARE FOR ARE BUSNESS.

I know some of you are thinking, " that sentence is ridiculous, there is no way that was written by a real live person." If you and I were face-to-face I would stare at you blankly and say, "yes, yes it was." Sad, but true. This sentence was copied from an email I received at work. I changed the names and number, but the rest was left untouched.

As I'm reading through the above grammatically challenged email I have the following observations:
1) there are no attempts at punctuation other than the period at the end
2) ARE does not equal OUR
3) IT does not equal ITS
4) again, ARE does not equal OUR
5) I think he meant to say web-based and not WEB-SITE BASE
6) SOFEWARE is not the same thing as SOFTWARE and is actually not even a real word
7) ARE still does not equal OUR
8) BUSNESS sounds like... whatever... it's business, not busness
9) ALL CAPS indicates yelling in the world of e-communication. So simmer down.
10) this guy owns a business?

I am concernicus! We all make mistakes, but mistakes these were not.

4 comments:

Zack said...

If you own a business nobody can fire you. If I had to bet, I would say he stumbled upon that fact.

Unknown said...

Was this for Josh??? This is almost exactly what I would expect from him even if he used MS WORD. Otherwise... it shows what english skills it takes to own a business!

Liger's Rule said...

Not that I can top that drunken email, but as a fellow co-worker, here is the daily use of English skills we must contend with:

I have included on graphic called Hybrid power. We wneed to
cahange it and I will most likly be sending you a replacement
grahic later today.

Breakdown: Do not drink at work, especially when you own a BUSNESS!

Sara said...

You had me at "are does not equal our." Yikes!